Sunday, May 20, 2012

1960s Tennis!

This year for Costume Con, Twila and I entered 1880s tennis dresses in the historic masquerade. More on that later. But for the day, we wanted easy costumes with tech rehearsal and workmanship judging to think of. She had a brilliant plan--vintage tennis dresses!

Tennis, Anyone, the vintage outfits! Tennis, Anyone, the vintage outfits!

Mine is from a mid 60s pattern. It's made of cotton pique from Farmhouse Fabrics in colors to match my Victorian dress. I got the idea from the pattern envelope--a previous user of the pattern labeled it in white, red, and blue. It's very straightforward. I just followed the pattern instructions. It's unlined with facings. The purple at the waist isn't a waistband, but rather a bias strip of trim between the bodice and skirt and then tacked the the seams. The scarf I'm wearing is I suppose vintage now--it's mine from junior high. It's from Banana Republic back when they still had a jeep in the front window of the store :)

It was my first time using a metal zipper. I used this tutorial from Sew Retro and it may have been the easiest thing in my sewing life to do.

Tennis, Anyone, the vintage outfits! Tennis, Anyone, the vintage outfits!

Now, this is a dress you can get very active in. (Not that we really did, but our hotel had a tennis court! How awesome was that?) So of course, there are little shorts below :)

Tennis, Anyone, the vintage outfits!

Tennis, Anyone, the vintage outfits!

More pictures of us being silly in the Photoset!



And a video of us practicing our presentation!

No comments:

Post a Comment