Tuesday, June 28, 2011

18th Century Linen Riding Habit

Last year I decided I wanted a riding habit for UTR. However, even though I had worn wool dresses to UTR in 2009, the idea of a wool habit in Virginia in June was rather unappealing, so I thought of linen. I had thought that the one pictured in Fashion in Detail from the 17th and 18th Centuries was linen, but my memory was wrong. This led me to look online, where I found this description of a linen habit on the 18th Century Woman Yahoogroup. I also found this fustian habit in the V&A (sadly, with no pictures!). These two habits made me feel confident making one in linen. Fashion did have to be altered for warm climates!

I took many construction pictures along the way, but for now, I'm just sharing pictures of the finished project!

Linen Riding Habit Linen Riding Habit

Linen Riding Habit Linen Riding Habit

Linen Riding Habit Linen Riding Habit

Linen Riding Habit Linen Riding Habit

Linen Riding Habit Linen Riding Habit

Linen Riding Habit

Linen Riding Habit The riding habit, sans jacket, at lunch

A few details--The natural linen for the habit, white linen lining, white for the shirt, and button molds are from Burnley and Trowbridge. The linen buckram interfacing is from William Booth Draper, as are the cuff buttons that you can't see. The blue silk is from Pure Silks. I'm wearing my Robert Land Regency boots that I bought from Spencer's Mercantile.

9 comments:

  1. BRAVO!!! It's breathtakingly beautiful!!!
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty, do you have a photo mounted? does it hang level when in the saddle? do you have it bustled for walking, I didn't see any obvious spots where you bustled it. Nice choice of the linen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning! Love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bwaaaah I love this so much, there are no words!! I've long been a fan of the riding habit, but this is just plain magnificent. Nicely, nicely done!
    P. S. If it goes missing... it wasn't me >:) lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everybody :)

    And I don't have a picture mounted. I don't ride, and that would just be a recipe for disaster! Bustling skirts seems to have been a later thing, so my petticoat is just normal length.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would you sell the outfit or make another just like it and sell it?

    If so, how much?

    Many Thanks,
    ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katherine,

    I love this outfit! I am planning on making a riding habit for the 1760s based on the portrait of Miss Vernon by Hoare, which you also seem to have taken your inspiration from. Your hat looks just like the one in the painting - so do you have any advice on making a silk-covered hat, and where to find ostrich feather trim? I would love your input!

    Alexa

    ReplyDelete